1) Pray the scriptures. Choose the Lord’s Prayer (Matt 6:9-13), Psalm 23 or another passage. Speak the verses meaningfully, from your heart, as if for the very first time. Choose a psalm that reflects where you are today. Fear, anger, praise, frustration, gratitude. No emotion is too great for God to bear.
2) Pray through an acronym. Follow A.C.T.S. … adoration, confession, thanksgiving, supplication (your requests); or P.R.A.Y. – praise God, repent, ask, yield (my will). Pause with each letter to unpack the promptings the word draws to mind. Reveal your heart to the Lord.
3) Pray for others. Intercede for friends and family as you read your twitter feed or facebook status lines. Flip through your Christmas cards at dinner and pray for one family each night. Lift world leaders in your prayers as you read the paper or listen to the news.
4) Prayer walk or drive. Do you walk the dog? Pray for neighbors as you pass their homes. Do you commute? Pray for people in the cars you pass or the riders on the bus or train or carpool van. Lift your work colleagues, classmates, store clerks to the Lord as you interact with them throughout the day.
5) Pray for those who do not yet know Jesus Christ. Pray every day, especially for family members. Who prays more fervently than a parent, sibling, son or daughter?? Pray for the missionaries who are reaching out for the Kingdom. Pray for the persecuted church.
6) Pray for yourself. Pray to grow and to bear fruit of the Spirit…love joy peace patience kindness faithfulness… Pray for wisdom. Pray for the ability to see the world and it’s people as the Lord does. Pray for those who hurt you. Indeed pray for those who insult you, gossip about you, and are rude to you.
7) End your day with a prayer of reflection. Replay the day and be attentive to how God worked. Consider people you talked with, circumstances that came together, answers to previous prayer. Offer praise and thanksgiving to the Lord. Gratitude will flood your soul!
Share on Pinterest!
#1 photo credit: Daniel Y. Go via photopin cc
#2 photo credit: danielskantze via photopin cc
#3 photo credit: Noukka Signe via photopin cc
#4 photo credit: Thomas Hawk via photopin cc
#5 photo credit: Lel4nd via photopin cc
#6 photo credit: josephpetepickle via photopin cc
#7 photo credit: David Y. Go